Monday 29 July 2013

Ingredients you need for gluten free baking

I have been reading about gluten free baking and at the moment I am into a simple life.  I just want to use what I have in my drawers and cupboards.  I therefore adapted gluten free baking to what I have.



I think you really need to get your hands on Mąka Ziemniaczana and this is a Polish potato flour.  I have read much about the difference between potato starch and potato flour.  All I can say is that this is a wonderful flour.  500 grams for 69 pence. 

Then there is rice flour.  In my drawers, I have 粘米粉 rice flour.  I think this is a very expensive flour at £1.39 for 450 grams.  I saw there was Dove's rice flour in Waitrose yesterday at £1.70 per kilogram. I have not used Dove's flour yet.

Then there is baking powder - just any gluten free baking powder will do.  Sainsbury sells gluten free baking powder for £1.35 for a tub of 170 grams.

Bi-carbonate of soda - well any well do.

In the background of the picture above, you will see strange bottles - and these are fizzy drinks which are need for gluten free baking.  If you do not want to use fizzy drinks, then you will need some form of acid - lemon juice, vinegar etc to activate the raising agent.

Then the most expensive of all gluten free baking is having this blessed Doves Xanthan gum which is £2.35 for 100 grams from Waitrose.  I added this gum into the fruit cake because our first fruit cake was not a total success.  This is like the magic ingredient which makes gluten free baking a success.  So if you are into gluten free baking, you need this blessed gum in your cupboard.  

Prices as of 29 July 2013 at 9 am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment